Monday, February 13, 2012

Driving home, Hot Springs and Snow

The drive back from Utah was a beautiful one, with the road twisting and turning through canyons and beside mountains.  We passed the time by following the remainder of the Dew Tour through Twitter, along with learning about Whitney Houston's death.  It was entertaining to see how the Tweeps out there knew more then CNN did.  I love Twitter.  It was a solid 8 hour drive back to Colorado and when we passed by Glennwood hot springs it put an idea in my head. I want to go to the hot springs!

So, on Sunday we tried to ride, was snowed out of the pipe, then packed the car and left for Strawberry Park Hot Springs near Steamboat, CO.  I came upon this place around three years ago and it's just amazing.  Natural pools, only slightly commercialized and I was there at night.  I had only been there during the day before,  a night time experience was extra special.  After a couple hours in the pools, going from the hot to the cold, I was cooked and it was time for dinner.  

I was weary to find a noodle place in Steamboat but thanks to Goggle Maps it told us there was a little shop, Noodles and More, score.  At first I was skeptical about ordering Pho from there, but I was happily surprised with the very authentic Pho soup I was served.  While eating, my Mother was so kind as to send me updates of the Grammy awards since I was missing them.  Sounds like my hometown boy, Deadmau5, killed it.  Go Toronto! Along with a strange performance by Nicki Manaj, I YouTubed it later and it was weird.  

We drove through a snow storm to get home.  One of those ones that made it feel like we were going warp speed.  Finally we made it home rolling over the two mountain passes and into Copper Mountain.  With no regrets I went to bed relaxed from the magical sulphur waters I soaked in.  

I awoke this morning to half a foot on the tress outside my window.  I didn't know whether to be delighted or frustrated.  I know this would make riding the pipe difficult.  After sending out the bat call to  Leslie Glenn there seemed to be around half a foot in the pipe a long with the trees outside, although Breckenridge's website was only reporting two inches.  

I didn't let this stop me from heading to the pipe to see for myself if I could get work done or not.  Yes, there was half a foot in the pipe, but thank goodness it's Colorado  snow and i could just blow through the stuff.  That would never happen in BC.  In 7 runs I was able to knock off some some 360 drills and boost some airs, along with some good pow turns at the end of the run.  In the end the cold got to me and I had to head home.  

I went home and looked at the weather to see what this training week would look like.  Snow, snow and more snow.  Not the most optimal conditions for what I need to do, but I will do my best to stick to my plan.  I do have a backup plan, I got Sport Excel on my side and visualizing is just important.

I have the World Cup coming up in Quebec City and I am going to be ready for it.  It will be an important contestant and a great contest.  I am excited to compete in my home country and in a World Cup, I love representing Canada.     

  

No comments:

Post a Comment