Friday, September 14, 2012

Keys to Recovery - Decreasing Muscle Soreness

 
I defiantly know what it is like to be sore from a workout.  I have been scared of stairs in my path, and even getting out of bed or a chair.  September and October is the time of the year when I am close to two great half pipes and have the afternoons to hit the gym. I can get some of the best training in. This translates into doing two workouts a day, probably four or more days a week.  With all this training I sure suffer from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and over the years I have come to believe in these keys to recovery. 
  
1.) Blood Circulation - Included in this point is stretching, roller work, contrast baths and massage. All these actions will increase blood flow to and from the muscle to help flush muscle toxins like lactic acid. It's the muscle toxins which cause the most discomfort the day of or a couple days after a workout. I try to incorporate at least ten to fifteen minutes of stretching and roller work post workout and possibly again during the night or before bed.  As for the contrast baths, it may be a luxury to have a hot and cold tub in your gym or house but we all have showers.  I try to do at least five to eight minutes total in cold, aiming for multiple one to two minute rounds of cold followed by some hot.  This also depends on how I am feeling and how long I can withstand the cold for.  For best results I finish with cold. I try to get a massage at least once a month, if I am lucky I may be able to get one once a week, still one of the best ways to increase circulation and relax. 

2.) Eating - After a workout, no matter the intensity, your body is primed for taking in nutrients and materials to repair and build muscle.  It is vital to a good recovery to intake 100 - 200 calories within an hour post workout.  This can be something as simple as a peanut butter and banana sandwich or a shake, I prefer a shake, you can mix right after.  I found this site which explains good ratios to follow depending on if you're trying to cut weight or gain muscle check it out HERE  

3.) Hydration - This is probably the easiest to do but most don't do it properly.  Considering our bodies are made up of 60% water, we need it to maintain balance and smooth function for our internal systems.  Being hydrated will allow our bodies to dissolve, transport and absorb nutrients, flush out toxins (which aids the first key, circulation), regulate its temperature, and help energy production.  Generally speaking one should intake around 16oz of water per pound lost during exercise.  You can find out how much water weight you have lost if you weight yourself before and after your workout. Some use urine color as a gauge of your bodies' hydration level and this is a good instant indicator. I also like to consider my lips as a sign if I am getting enough water, a bit chapped means I need to hit the bottle while smooth and moist lips means I am doing pretty well. Although this is a rather delayed indication of hydration I still find it to be a good cue.  For more info check out this site HERE

4.) Sleep - I think this is the most important key for recovery and is easily overlooked.  This is super important as an athlete but probably just as important for everyday life.  While we sleep our minds have a chance to process all the information taken in during the day including the cementing in all of the new neurological pathways we built during our workout, especially if a new workout or exercise was preformed.  Our bodies are also releasing hormones that rebuild muscles.  Lack of sleep could lead to plateaus in workouts and other detrimental effects on your body, not to mention a cloudy mind.  During these days of long training I even take a 20-30 minute nap between on snow and gym sessions and I get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.  I also have to add that the quality of sleep is important.  The less you can be disturbed the better, I use ear plugs and sometimes even a sleeping mask to minimize distractions, especially important for traveling. For more info on sleep deprivation check this out HERE

These keys; circulation, eating, hydration, and sleep, are just guidelines that I have found to work really well.  I believe they are applicable to a high intensity athletes, like myself, and to recreational athletes who are trying to reach a personal goal.  One thing I can definitely say is that your body will adapt and DOMS will decrease with workout frequency.  So keep it up, because in this case whatever doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

Don't Forget to Follow this Blog!!
Back to http://www.ktathletics.com/              



No comments:

Post a Comment